SEN725 Urban Stormwater Management
Unit Learning Outcome(s)
The attainment of these ULOs will be assessed in this assessment task. Attainment of these ULOs are essential to pass this unit.
1: Demonstrate the attainment of knowledge and concepts related to urban stormwater management.
2: Apply physical concepts and mathematical principles to derive engineering solutions for quantity and quality management.
3: Apply engineering principles and advanced technical knowledge to design and conceptualize the application of these skills to real world problems.
4: Apply innovative, problem-solving and research principles in the development of modelling to practical applications of urban stormwater management.
5: Communicate with the engineering community in the investigation of problems in urban stormwater management.
Graduate Learning Outcome
The City of Greater Geelong, CoGG, has accepted your preliminary report on evaluation, improvement and retrofitting stormwater network system for the whole city. The CoGG has invited you to submit the full project report on your selected catchment which should include the following synopsis:
1. To present the catchment cadastral map and discretization to a number of subcatchments on SWMM 5 platform ( the approximate number of subcatchments will be announced in the suggested format for Assessment-4)
2. To populate the selected catchment with data of subcatchments, junctions and pipe network
3. To find the critical duration of design rainfall for the selected catchment which creates the largest flood peak for 1% AEP at the outlet.
4. To populate the sole rain gauge of the whole subcatchments with the ensembles of rainfall time series with 1EY, 50%, 20% and 1% AEP for the critical duration
5. To discuss the adequacy/reliability of the catchment conveyance system, minor and major, in handling floods with different AEPs.
6. To estimate the annual load of pollutants as TN, TP and TSS at the outlet of the selected catchment to its specific receiving water
7. To discuss feasible positioning of three LID structures at both neighbourhood and catchment scales either overground or underground.
8. To present live model, junctions and stormwater minor system network on SWMM 5 platform ( Live Model Plus Backdrop)
9. Manual design of a Detention Basin to reduce flood peak from the selected catchment will be announced in an Annex to Assessment-4 later.