HI5019 Strategic Information Systems
Students are required to:
• Critically evaluate the purpose and role of accounting information systems in today’s business environment
• Evaluate systems development methodologies and the role of accountants in system development projects, and
• Appraise the risks inherent in computer-based systems/ERP, including the role of ethics and the various internal control processes that need to be in place
You are recently employed as a graduate consultant in a management consultancy firm. One of your firm’s clients is currently evaluating its information systems, and the Managing Director of your client thinks that they needed to invest in an Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) system to support the growth of the business.
You are required to prepare a report to evaluate and recommend an ERP software for a listed company of your choice (your firm’s client).1 The report should include the following components:
1. Background of the Selected Business
• Describe your client’s business and its business activities.
• Discuss the key business processes for your client.
• Based on our discussion in Interactive Tutorial 4 to 6, evaluate the business process of your clients to identify potential weak internal controls and the risk associated with these potential weak controls.
• Recommend the control techniques that will reduce or eliminate these potential risks.
• Outline the software features and functionalities that your client should consider supporting its business activities