MGT604 Managing in Global Context
This is our prescribed format for Assignment C. We encourage you to follow each of the headings (Introduction, Principle 1, Principle 2...) to structure your essay. The questions under the subheadings serve as guide to help you evaluate the research paper. You do not have to use these questions as subheadings. You can answer them directly and add more of your own analysis.
1. What is the research paper about?
2. What methods did it use?
3. What are the research findings?
Principle 1: Good research begins with good questions
1. What is the research topic?
2. What is the research question?
3. Does the study present a good research question? Why or why not?
4. What kind of research question(s) was asked?
5. What is the significance of research question?
Principle 2: Good research requires good design
1. Is the study designed around a research question?
2. What is the method of data collection?
3. What is the method of data analysis?
4. Does the research method chosen for the study match the research question? In other words, is the study question-driven?
5. Do the authors explain why they have chosen this particular research method?
Principle 3: Good research builds on previous body of work
1. Is there a literature review?
2. How do the authors relate their research to the previous body of research?
Principle 4: Good research reveals patterns of behaviour
1. What kind of patterns does the research reveal?
2. Do the researchers find patterns in text or numbers?
3. What methods of analysis are used to spot the patterns?
Principle 5: Good research requires a sharp eye
1. Is there any discussion on visuals/visual material?
2. Could the study have used visual material/visual methods as well? If so, how?
Principle 6: Good research requires attentive listening
1. What techniques for attentive listening was used in this paper?
2. Could the paper have done a better job at listening to people, institutions or the environment?
Principle 7: Good research makes the familiar strange
1. To what extent did the paper embrace the ethnographic ethos of making the familiar strange?
2. How can ethnographic methods enrich this paper?
Principle 8: Good research respects human dignity and safety
1. Did the paper discuss how the research project protected the safety and dignity of
the researcher and respondent?
2. What are the potential ethical issues in this project?
Principle 9: Good research defends the truth
1. What counts as truth in this paper?
2. What are the sources of truth?
3. How can other research methods challenge or deepen this paper’s version of truth?
Principle 10: Good research has impact
1. Does the paper demonstrate value-free, value-laden, or committed social science research?
2. What is the research paper’s wider relevance?
1. Based on the ten key principles of good research, do you think this is a good research project?