MBA505 Business Psychology, Coaching and Mentoring
This subject explores a number of useful approaches designed to support coaching and mentoring. The SMART and the GROW models are two of these. Being able to understand and apply models to support coaching others and to develop self-awareness of how to reach a long-term goal is a key outcome of this subject.
The purpose of the assessment is for you to show how you can apply coaching skills in a way that enables you to think practically about the future you are trying to create for yourself, and to enable you to start to move towards your future plans. By doing this, you are learning how to apply the skills of coaching others by first applying them to yourself.
Identify a significant goal in the form of a job or aspiration you would like to be prepared for in 5 year’s time, and develop a plan to be able to coach yourself to achieve this goal within the time-frame. To set your goal, you may feel a specific job you have identified is the best thing to aim for, but if relevant an ambition to run a business venture of your own would also be appropriate.
The following assessment has three parts.
A - Create a 1-page poster A2 sized poster (which can be assembled from 4 A3 sheets) that presents:
1. The personal goal for your future, post your MBA studies, around 5 years or more into the future. Use the SMART model to define your goal in a visual way for your poster.
2. The skill development requirements of this goal, in other words, what do you need to achieve or master to get to your goal? Also, you need to consider whether there are intermediate steps involved
3. A personal coaching plan to reach this objective, with an application of the GROW model to explain how you will achieve your goal (clearly stating your goal, where you are at now, options to reach your goal and the actions needed to get there)
B – Present your poster and describe your approach to reach your goal to a group of fellow students. The exact method of presentation will depend on whether your class is online or face to face.
The goal you have selected including the specific elements that make it SMART
• Why this goal is important to you and the skills needed to achieve this goal.
• Your plan to support yourself to achieve the goal, with an outline of some of the questions you would ask to coach yourself, and some approaches you can use to help you to achieve your goal