HSYP801-Foundations of Public Health
Part A: Oral Presentation
You are asked to prepare and deliver a 5-minute oral presentation that informs a public/lay audience about how ONE factor has affected/is affecting your chosen disease and population.
Provide only one introduction slide that briefly describes this chosen disease and population. You should spend no more that 1-minute discussing this.
Part B: Written Report
You are asked to produce a written report up to 2,000 words that explores how TWO factors have affected / are affecting the disease.
Include in your report:
1. A brief introduction to the disease and population of concern, including statistics on the prevalence of the disease in this population and comparison to data at a global level
2. Clearly describe how two factors have affected/are affecting the disease in this population. Include relevant statistics/epidemiological data to support your report.
3. Commentary on the prioritisation of the disease as a public health issue for your population and comparison to its prioritisation at a global level
4. Appropriate references using the Vancouver citation style for any resources, articles or reports etc. used in your report
Part B: Public Health Ethics Component
Included in your written report, you are asked to write a short essay that discusses what you’ve reported on in relation to public health ethics.
You do not need to include any of the same information that appears earlier in your report; you can assume that parts B and C will be considered together.
Include in your essay:
1. A brief introduction to the main interventions (up to three) that are currently being used to prevent and/or treat the disease/issue in the population you have chosen.
2. An ethical analysis of the intervention(s) using one of the public health ethics frameworks introduced in class. You are free to choose any of the frameworks, whichever one is appropriate.
3. Appropriate references using the Vancouver citation style for any resources, articles or reports etc. used in your report. 4. A word count for Part C