Choose ONE book from the list below and write a review of about 3500 words based on the theme: Education as a process of social transformation.
1.The pedagogy of the oppressed (Paolo Freire)
2.The culture of education (Jerome Bruner)
3.The school and society (John Dewey)
4.Deschooling Society (Ivan Illich)
1 Brief description of the book in relation to its relevance to education 500 words
2 Identification of one sociological issue from the book which is linked to the theme in context 500 words
3 Theorization of the issue using one sociological perspective based on a sociological theme 1500 words
4 Contextualized analysis and synthesis of the issue 1000 words
5 Appropriate use of readings and referencing
You are required to identify a genuine sociological issue pertaining to your teaching context through the book selected. You are not expected to describe or summarize the content of the book but build an informed argument on selected themes drawn from the book, for example on teacher professionalism, subcultures and delinquency, education structures and consumerism. A weblink is provided to you to guide you in your write up but this is indicative only.
Weblink guide to book review
How to Write a Critical Book Review.pdf (dbu.edu) List of books online
1. The pedagogy of the oppressed (Paolo Freire) Pedagogy_of_the_oppressed_by_Paulo_Freir.pdf
2 .The culture of education (Jerome Bruner)/The-Culture-of-Education-Jerome-Bruner.pdf
3. The school and society (John Dewey) The Project Gutenberg eBook of The School and Society, by John Dewey
4. Deschooling society deschooling society : Ivan illich : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming: Internet Archive
Assignment Submission Guidelines
1. You are advised to respect the word limit (excluding the list of references and appendices). The number of words should be inserted on the first page of the assignment.
2. It is mandatory to include a reference list at the end of your assignment.
3. You are required to conform to the Harvard referencing style (both intext and for the reference list).
4. Format: Use font size 12 (Times New Roman) and spacing 1.5 throughout your assignment. Only paragraph headings should be in bold letters.