CNA545 Peirnatal and Infant Mental Health
Following are some suggestions only as to how to approach this assessment item.
• Consider Elyce’s age – what does the literature tell us about teenage parenthood?
• Consider the situation regarding conception of this pregnancy – a “one-off” relationship, no contact with the father.
• Elyce has a history of depression – what does this tell us about the risk factors for perinatal mental health? Do you need to consider her cannabis use?
• How do we manage our relationship as the caregiver in the circumstances when someone might not have the same standards as we may have? Eg, messy house?
• Elyce’s activity – spends the day watching TV. Does she have any other support networks and how might you approach this with her?
• Consider the description given by Elyce regarding Aidan “not really needing much from her”,“happy to be left on his own in his cot” “really only needs to spend time with him to feed him”. What does this description tell us? What would be the normal behaviour of a 4- month-old baby, and what sort of attention would he require?
• Consider how Aidan is presently responding to Elyce.
• Explore the literature and use a range of sources in your discussion
• Consider perinatal mental health disorder and its effect on Elyce, her relationship with Steve,and baby Aidan.
• What is the importance of screening and early intervention and treatment – for both mother and baby? What factors do you need to consider here? Why is early intervention so important?
• Consider the critical role of early attachment relationships and infant mental health.