There is one central case study with scenarios in this assessment.
You will have to respond to all the tasks by demonstrating your skills and knowledge within the assessment guidelines and requirements. Certain templates available on e-learning are required to be used as stated within the tasks to ensure you demonstrate the skills and knowledge. Students have the choice to create their own templates or provide other form of evidences, however they must meet the required criteria.
Management require the skills and knowledge to develop and monitor implementation of the operational plan to provide efficient and effective workplace practices within the organisation’s productivity and profitability plans.
Management at a strategic level requires systems and procedures to be developed and implemented to facilitate the organisation’s operational plan
To do this you require high level communication and relationship building skills which are effectively required to ensure that in the workplace the day-to-day work operations are sustained and profitable.
Organisational Context And Background Information
Business name: ACA Restaurant Cafe’
Business structure: Partnership
Business location: Located within ACA Hotel, 505 George Street Sydney NSW 2001
Date established: 1 July 2014
Business owner(s): Emma Supreme; Rufus Clarendon
Relevant owner experience
Rufus Clarendon has an MBA from the University of Melbourne and 15 years’ experience in financial management and operating various small businesses, including restaurants and cafes.
Emma Supreme has two qualifications which includes Bachelor’s in Hospitality and Tourism Management from Western Sydney University and Diploma of Marketing from Sydney TAFE with a 13 years’ experience in Cafe’ Restaurant operations, customer service, sales and marketing.
Mission and Vision of ACA Café Restaurant
Passionate about ethically sourcing the finest hot and cold gourmet food and beverages with combining unique culinary creations, exquisite décor and superior service provides a truly definitive dining experience. Delivering with great care, improving the lives of people allowing all to eat, drink and dine from with friends and family. Perfect place to start of the day valuing everyday lifestyle that assists to guide our strategic direction and corporate planning.
ACA Restaurant Cafe’ provides an impeccable, unique and compelling combination of café and restaurant experience that associates 50 seating arrangements for breakfast, lunch and dinner cuisine with a new function/party area accommodating 20 guests. It promises the consistently of high-quality level of expertise, quality service and knowledge from 11 qualified and experienced employees.
ACA Café’ Restaurant provides:
- high excellence of a line of drinks and beverages for a wide range of delicious, wholesome breakfast including confectionaries, Danish pastries, cakes and sweets
- hot and cold gourmet food and beverages
- an exhilarating menu for lunch and dinner philosophy of using natural seasonal flavours, enhanced by classic technique and presents only the best and freshest ingredients with a selection of wines that complement the quality cuisine
You, as Joe Roux, have been the Manager of ACA Restaurant Cafe’ for over 2 years and have established good relationships and communications with both your internal and external stakeholders.
ACA Restaurant Cafe’ is positively represented in the media and the community and is a trusted dining option with a good reputation. The Business Summary Plan can be found on eLearning and can be referenced in your responses.
Menu pricing is intended to position ACA Restaurant Cafe’ as slightly higher priced than its competitors. This pricing strategy is intended to both increase revenue and underpin ACA Restaurant Cafe’s message of higher quality
The restaurant café contains and provides the following guest services:
- Hot and cold beverage service
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (including entrée and desserts options) dining option
- Seated table service
- Catering services
- Events / parties
- Take away counter and prepared sandwiches, pastries, muffins and cakes for take away
- Alcohol and non-alcohol cocktail services
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
Located on the bustling George Street, the restaurant cafe’ is instantly recognised for its accessibility and central location, its ambient vibes and it further provides itself on its guest greeting and quick service processes.
Task – Project Report
As the Manager of ACA Restaurant Cafe’ you, as Joe Roux, have been delegated the responsibility to develop the operational plan and processes and procedures for planning and managing the resources acquisition of ACA Restaurant Café’ by completing the following 2 tasks.
In order to complete these tasks, you are required to follow the instructions of the tasks and utilise the directed templates as stated within this assessment. Relevant templates can be found on e-learning. You have the choice to create your own templates for the report or provide other form of evidences, however, they must meet the required criteria of this assessment. Please refer to the “Assessment Marking Criteria” at the end of this assessment for your reference.
Assume the following scenario for ACA Restaurant Café;’ to complete this assessment.
Presume that the management of ACA Restaurant Café’ has adopted a proposal to utilise a sunny indoor section of the lobby as a service point for morning and afternoon teas.
As the Manager of ACA Restaurant Cafe’ the next part of the operational planning phase requires you, as Joe Roux, to do an analysis on the financial positions of two (2) different options:
- The first option is to install a full espresso coffee service station in the newly designated area in the cinemas open lobby foyer area or;
- The second option is to utilise the existing coffee facilities inside the busy 24-hour coffee shop outlet of the café’ area, situated 30 meters diagonally across the foyer of your restaurant café’.
It fits all the legal requirements regarding the serving of food and after a cost-benefit analysis, it was seen to potentially create a lucrative new revenue stream in a previously revenue-neutral floor space.
As the Manager, among other evaluation activities in the initial planning phase, a guest marketing survey was conducted, the trading figures for the restaurant café’ were analysed and the following data emerged:
- Initial estimated covers per lobby tea service per week = 250 customers
- Budgeted average spends per cover excluding including GST = $18.50
- Two (2) existing food service attendants are allocated for 2.5 hours for each service period.
- One food service attendant will need to be hired to ensure the operation can operate 7 days a week.
- Each tea service operates for 2 hours only i.e. 10.00am-12.00pm and 2:30pm-4:30pm
- The existing tables and comfortable lobby style seating are to be used so no other capital outlay is required to establish the revenue stream
- The restaurant café’ service kitchen prepares the sandwiches and delivers them to the pass in the pastry section of the main production kitchen, located directly behind the proposed outlet. Gâteaux and pastries are prepared and plated up by the pastry section
- The two (2) food service attendants order and collect all food orders for this outlet from the pastry section pass in the main production kitchen, via a convenient service entry door located directly behind the proposed lobby tea area
- A set of service fridges in the front kitchen can be utilised for the storage and service of chilled alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
Task 1: Develop Operational Plan
You are required to use the templates provided: “HM_Template 1_Standard Operation Procedure”, “HM_Template 2_Strategic & Operational Plan”, ” HM_Template 3_ Appendices 1-6”, ’ HM_Template 4_HR Manual’ and the “HM_Template 5_ Job Description” (available on e-learning) to develop the plan, that includes the following details and information for the proposal:
Task 2: Planning Resource Acquisition
Your task is to:
Outline the processes and procedures you use for planning and managing the required physical and human resources.
To complete this task, you are required to reference, and where appropriate